New Paralegal Certificate Program Benefits: Capital Area Paralegal Association Membership
CAPA mentorship program, job bank and internship opportunities among the benefits
"CAPA is excited to partner with the UT Paralegal Certificate Program. We’re proud that our mission to serve and promote the paralegal profession begins with our future.” - Ariane Walton, Programs Chair for the Austin chapter of CAPA and UT Austin Paralegal Certificate Program alum, March 2017
Students in the Paralegal Certificate Program at The University of Texas at Austin will have access to a year-long membership in the Austin chapter of the Capital Area Paralegal Association (CAPA). This new opportunity will begin with the spring 2019 session of the program. Students will be automatically enrolled in the association after the course starts and have access to CAPA's resources and benefits, including a mentorship program run by the CAPA organization.
This mentorship program provides support and direction to new paralegals while developing their connection to the local paralegal community. Students have the opportunity to improve their legal knowledge, skills and professional relationships, and address practical concerns and issues encountered in the paralegal profession. Interested participants request to be paired with a mentor in a specific area of law and then work with their mentor, a veteran paralegal, for one year.
"We are always looking for ways to improve our students’ opportunities," says Paralegal Certificate Program Manager, Tiffany Haas. "Joining forces with CAPA was a fantastic option, and I am positive it will prove beneficial to our students while they are taking the program and thereafter."
Additional benefits available to the program students include:
- Monthly membership meeting luncheons offering Continuing Legal Education (CLE), held the last Wednesday of each month (except June and December)
- Access to CAPA’s job bank and internship opportunities available to CAPA members only
- Access to CAPA’s monthly newsletter, The Brief, consisting of legal and paralegal articles, calendar of events, upcoming CLE and volunteer opportunities, and member accolades
- Networking opportunities including social events, community service events, happy hours and the yearly Paralegal Day celebration
- Numerous CLE opportunities including free lunch & learn seminars, half-day and full-day CLE seminars and monthly CLE luncheons
- Access to past CLE presentations and speaker handouts
- A dedicated Student and School Liaison to assist in navigating the membership benefits offered to students
- Service on CAPA Committees
- Pro Bono volunteer opportunities and support through the Pro Bono Committee
- Certified Paralegal (NALA) and Texas Board of Legal Specialization (TBLS) Board Certification study groups and exam resources
- Access to the CAPA Membership Directory
- Access to CAPA’s Sustaining Membership and legal support vendor services
Learning and professional growth go hand in hand. For regular career insights and information on continuing education programs offered by UT’s Center for Professional Education, subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, It’s Your Career.