Introduction to Graphic Design
Learn Adobe design program basics through our short, introductory course. Explore the fundamentals behind three primary Adobe products - Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator - taken in the order of your choice. Our UT-faculty-designed curriculum is presented through a combination of online reading, instructional videos and projects, along with available instructor support. Offered in a convenient online self-paced format so you can learn on your time, any time within 90 days.
- Learn to resize, retouch and color correct digital images
- Use layers to montage images, work with text, file formats, and productivity, and explore the new features in the latest version of Photoshop
- Build a press-ready postcard and a digital ad
- Learn to use InDesign to produce a variety of single-page and multi-page documents
- Set and format type, work with paragraph styles, import images from Illustrator and Photoshop, define and apply color, apply graphic effects, create PDFs and package files for printing
- Create a simple 4-color brochure and get it press-ready, build a multi-page catalog and create a newspaper
- Learn the fundamentals of vector illustration including basic shape rendering, setting typography and complex shading
- Discover many other powerful features that make Illustrator the Swiss Army Knife of design software
- Individuals seeking an introduction to the fundamentals of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator
- Students who prefer to learn on their own time and pace
- Individuals interested in pursuing the Graphic Design Certificate Program who do not meet the prerequisites
- Navigate the basics of graphic design software with confidence
- Determine which program is best to use depending on the job
- Present information in new and visually-appealing ways
- Develop the prerequisite skills necessary for entry into the Graphic Design Certificate Program
Find additional information about available discounts.
There are no textbook requirements. However,
- Students must have their own Mac or PC laptop with a recent version of Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator installed (current pricing and the cancellation policy can be found at https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html)
- Though you can use a trackpad, a mouse is strongly recommended
- Students must have internet access and a working email address
This bundle will call for you to engage in self-directed learning to complete online modules. You should expect to spend the equivalent of 16 class hours per Adobe program to complete videos and projects.
This program takes students on average 60 days to complete, but students have access to the program for 90 days. There are no extensions available for this course, but you are able to re-purchase the program to continue, if needed.
If you are enrolling in this program in order to fulfill the pre-requisite requirements for the Graphic Design Certificate Program, please note that you should complete the modules on Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator prior to the program start date.