Frequently Asked Questions

Office Information


Payment Information

Financial Aid for Continuing Education


Course Information


Off-Site Courses


Office Information

What are the operating hours of the Center for Professional Education (CPE)?

The CPE office is open Monday through Friday, 8a.m.-5 p.m. Our holiday hours or closings will be posted in the UT Austin Holiday web page.


Is admission to the University required?

No, CPE offers non-academic credit courses available to anyone wanting to advance in their career, prepare for a certification exam, transition into a new career or simply augment their personal skills.

How do I register?

To register, visit the desired course webpage, add the course to your shopping cart and follow the checkout instructions to complete your registration. Please visit the How To Register page for more information.

Do I have to be a Texas Resident to register?

No, there are no residency restrictions, and all CPE courses are open enrollment.

Does the Center for Professional Education (CPE) sponsor visas for international students?

No, as CPE offers continuing and professional education certifications, we do not qualify to sponsor F-1 or M-1 Student Visas. For questions regarding student visas and/or entry or immigration to the United States, please direct inquiries to the United States Department of State.

When is the registration deadline?

In-person courses remain open for enrollment until the first day of the class unless enrollment reaches capacity. Please contact the Registrar at if you are planning to register late to ensure there is available space in the classroom. Registration for online courses is offered on a rolling basis.

My employer is paying for my tuition. Do I have to submit the payment up front?

Not necessarily, but you will have to register online and submit a Purchase Order to An invoice will be generated and submitted to your employer. The Purchase Order must state name, email address, and a contact number for the employee and list the desired course(s). Individuals are responsible for any remaining fees not covered by their employer.

Does the Center for Professional Education offer tuition discounts?

Yes, many of CPE’s in-person and cohort-based offerings do qualify for a discount. Please visit the Discounts section of the website to determine if you qualify for a discount.

Please Note: Discounts cannot be combined.

What is the Refund Policy?

Individual workshops and online courses do not provide a refund. Please visit our Policies and Procedures webpage for more information.

What happens if I don’t attend a course or need to withdraw from a class?

If you are unable to attend or wish to withdrawal, please email If a withdrawal request is made by the registrant at least three business days prior to the course start date, a credit or transfer can be applied with an added fee. Participant substitution may be made at any time at no additional fee. Please visit the Policies and Procedures webpage for complete details.

What if there is bad weather on the day of my class?

CPE follows the university operating schedule. For emergency information please visit the university Emergency Information web page. An email will also be sent by the department in the event we delay our classes or close the center. We are not responsible for travel-related expenses in the event we cancel a class.

Payment Information

What credit cards does the Center for Professional Education (CPE) accept?

We accept American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.

I work for the University of Texas at Austin; do you accept an Interdepartmental Transfer (IDT)?

Yes, CPE accepts IDTs with department signature approval. A registration form must be completed in full and include departmental IDT information along with a signature of approval from an authorized IDT signer. Please visit the How to Register page to download a registration form.

Can I submit a registration without payment?

Unless your organization is paying your program fee and is requesting to be invoiced for a Purchase Order, full payment of tuition and fees is due at the time of registration.

How much are tuition fees?

The tuition for each course varies. Please visit specific course webpages for tuition information.

Does CPE offer a payment plan?

Yes, the CPE Tuition Payment Plan provides students enrolling in most in-person certificate programs with an alternative to paying tuition in full at the time of registration.

Payment schedules and percentages vary by certificate program. For more information on using a payment plan, please review the policies and guidelines detailed in the Tuition Payment Plan form provided for each individual certificate program or email

Why haven’t I received my 1098-T Form for my taxes?

CPE offers non-credit courses and therefore are unable to provide a 1098-T Form. Please retain your confirmation of enrollment and payment for tax purposes; in some cases, students are eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit. For more information please visit the Internal Revenue Service website.

Financial Aid for Continuing Education

Can I enroll in a Center for Professional Education (CPE) program using FAFSA, grants, scholarships or any student financial aid?

CPE is not approved for Financial Aid or financial assistance from private lenders. In some cases, we are able to accept scholarships. Please email us at with your scholarship details or if you have a specific question.

I am a Texas Veteran and want to use my GI Bill benefits or I am a spouse and wish to use MYCAA benefits, how do I register?

Please visit the Military and Veterans page for full registration and benefits information.

Can I use WIA Training Funds?

Yes, CPE accepts WIA funding for some of our programs with the approval of the Texas Workforce Commission. If you have lost your job, are displaced or dislocated worker, or fit a number of other qualifiers, make an appointment with your local Workforce Development Office for information about receiving funds for continuing education courses.


I can’t attend one of my class meetings. Can I still register?

Due to the intensive nature of courses offered through CPE, students must meet a minimum attendance policy. Please email if you have specific questions or concerns.

Can I register for a certificate program that has already started?

Certificate programs require that students satisfy a set number of attendances. Please email if you are attempting to register for a program that has already started.

What if I need accommodations for a disability?

Please contact in advance of the start of your course. CPE is an equal opportunity/equal access institution.

Course Information

When are courses offered?

CPE offers in class courses three times per year: fall, spring and summer. Self-paced online courses are offered on a continuous basis.

Where are classes held?

Most classes are held on the main UT Austin campus. Please visit the course page for specific building location and classroom details.

Do I need a parking permit?

Parking is available on-site at the Thompson Conference Center in Lot 40, located at the corner of Red River and Dean Keeton streets. If parking in Lot 40, students must display a valid parking pass between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Students can view and print a weekly parking pass on our website or pick one up in room 1.116 at the Thompson Conference Center. Please note, any vehicle without a visible parking pass is subject to ticketing. CPE waives all responsibility for citations issued to program participants.

If your course is being held in a building other than the Thompson Conference Center, a parking permit will most likely be required. Please contact us at for information on parking for your course.

Is the course/program transferable to another college/university?

CPE courses are non-academic continuing and professional education courses which are generally non-transferrable.

Will I receive college credit?

CPE courses do not offer college credit. All participants who complete our courses satisfactorily, will, however, receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs).

What is a Continuing Education Unit (CEU)?

CEU stands for “Continuing Education Unit.” A CEU is a unit of credit equal to 10 hours of participation in an accredited program designed for professionals with certificates or licenses to practice various professions. Such professionals include engineers, financial advisers, and healthcare workers.

Can I use your continuing education courses to renew my license?

CPE has received course approvals through numerous professional organizations, such as the Society for Human Resource Management, Project Management Institute, International Institute of Business Analysis, and the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards. Please visit course homepages for a listing of recertification hours awarded upon completion.

Does receiving a certificate make me a “graduate of The University of Texas at Austin?”

No. You are only considered a “graduate” of the University when you earn an academic degree from a degree granting unit.

Will there be any job search assistance with this program?

Most CPE programs do not include a formal job search assistance component. Participants are encouraged to join local associations for job opportunities.

Can I claim the cost of my continuing education class as a deduction on my income taxes?

An individual may be able to claim a tax deduction or a tax credit for the cost of attending continuing education programs. Please keep a copy of your receipt and consult with your tax advisor about whether your payment meets the regulations that apply to tax deductions and tax credits.

Will I have to buy books or supplies for my class?

Unless otherwise noted in the course description, class materials and supplies will be furnished by CPE.

Do the instructors have office hours?

Most CPE instructors are adjunct instructors and hold a profession outside of the University. In most cases our instructors provide their email address during class. If you need help, you can always contact for assistance.


How do I get a copy of my Continuing Education transcript?

To receive a copy of your continuing education record, please email

Off-Site Courses

My organization is interested in a course for our employees. Can we arrange a course to be held at our office?

To hold a class at an off-site location please contact CPE Business Solutions at or call us at 1-800-687-7345.

Our organization is interested in a Speaker or Consultant, can you help?

Yes, we can help in almost any situation. Please contact CPE Business Solutions at or call us at 1-800-687-7345.