Open doors to a paralegal career with an updated certificate you can earn self-paced online.
Our Online Paralegal Certificate Program teaches the most in-demand legal skills and provides a foundational knowledge of torts, contracts and civil procedures to help you begin a successful career in the field of law. The curriculum focuses on Texas Rules of Civil Procedure and is aligned with the classroom program created at The University of Texas at Austin.
The fully-online, self-paced program is comprised of traditional texts, interactive quizzes, graphic videos, projects, and grammar and writing modules. While you learn at your own pace, you have access to an experienced instructor who will be grading your exams and answering your questions. Our curriculum is comprehensive, preparing you to be highly-trained and ready to step into the legal field.
- Anyone considering a paralegal career
- Aspiring attorneys wanting to gain legal knowledge before law school
- Professionals with transferable skills seeking a career change such as nurses, teachers, law enforcement officers, business managers or healthcare staff
- Current paralegals needing more formal training
- Understand the fundamental tasks paralegals often perform and the skills necessary to meet your client’s needs using real-world cases and scenarios
- Learn best practices in document preparation and file maintenance, as well as legal writing and research using Westlaw and Lexis research tools
- Gain foundational knowledge in interview and investigation techniques, legal analysis and civil procedures
- Understand the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure, explore tort law, contract law, and other civil law practices
Prospective students must have at least a high school diploma. An associate's or bachelor's degree is highly recommended. Successful students enter the program with strong written and verbal communication skills and a high level of proficiency with standard word processing software. Internet and email access are required to complete the program.
The registration fee does NOT include the required course textbooks, which you can purchase online through amazon.com.
The Litigation Paralegal: A Systems Approach
Publisher: Cengage Learning
Tort Law for Paralegals
Publisher: Wolters Kluwer
Basic Contract Law for Paralegals
Publisher: Wolters Kluwer Law & Business
O’Connor’s Texas Rules: Civil Trials
Publisher: Jones McClure
Note: It is important to obtain the 2021 edition of this textbook because the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure changed significantly starting January 1, 2021.
This is a Canvas-based program.
Learn more about what you would experience in our program in a short test drive. You can preview the instructional methods and teaching techniques presented in the online program and determine how well you follow specific directions and instruction in an online format before investing in the program.