Open doors to a paralegal career with a certificate you can earn 100% online and on your schedule.
The Online Paralegal Certificate teaches the most in-demand legal skills and provides a foundational knowledge of ethics and legal principles to help you begin a successful career in the field of law. The program includes traditional texts, online lecture notes, mock exams, writing labs and reference materials for all fifty states. This program offers the convenience of an entirely web-based curriculum but has the advantage of offering you one-on-one contact with an experienced instructor. Our curriculum is comprehensive, preparing you to be highly-trained and ready to step into the legal field. Once you have begun the program, you will work with your instructor to determine which elective course fits best with your particular area of interest. You will choose two of the following electives:
- Contract Law
- Tort Law
- Criminal Law
- Family Law
- Business Organizations
- Anyone considering a paralegal career
- Aspiring attorneys wanting to gain legal knowledge before law school
- Professionals with transferable skills seeking a career change such as nurses, teachers, law enforcement officers, business managers or healthcare staff
- Current paralegals needing more formal training
- Understand the fundamental tasks paralegals often perform and the skills necessary to meet your client’s needs using real-world cases and scenarios
- Learn best practices in document preparation and file maintenance, as well as legal writing and research using Westlaw and Lexis research tools
- Gain foundational knowledge in interview and investigation techniques, legal analysis and civil procedures
- Understand the Texas Civil Procedure of Evidence, explore tort law, contract law, and other civil law practices
Students are required to have a high school diploma at the minimum, internet and email access and a proficiency in word processing.
Learn more about what you would experience in our program in a short test drive. You can preview the instructional methods and teaching techniques presented in the online program and determine how well you follow specific directions and instruction in an online format before investing in the program.
The registration fee does NOT include books, which you can purchase here: www.books.utexasparalegal.com. Before purchasing books, please confirm your courses with your assigned instructor in order to purchase the correct book. Some of the books are available used on Amazon and other retailers, but you must purchase the Essential Skills for Paralegals Bundle new, as it includes technology fees that are necessary for the course. Please note, it takes approximately a week to receive your books so please plan accordingly.
Special note to students from other states:
Since this class originates at The University of Texas at Austin many of the forms, labs and court references refer Texas. However, students attending these classes online from other states are not at a disadvantage. The goals are to teach students form manipulation based on any template and to instruct students in foundational court structure. These skills apply to any jurisdiction. If you let your instructor know or contact the university, we will give you access to the Writing Lab from your state so that you are able to create valid legal documents for your jurisdiction.
When will I get access to Paralegal Space?
ParalegalSpace is the online portal that you will use for studying, completing class assignments, and taking exams. Once enrolled it takes approximately 2 business days to provide you with ParalegalSpace access. You will receive a welcome email and access to ParalegalSpace. You will be invited to review an orientation of ParalegalSpace in order to learn what will be expected of you in the class.