Start a rewarding paralegal career in less than five months
The Paralegal Certificate Program teaches the most in-demand legal skills and provides a foundational knowledge of ethics and legal principles to help you begin a successful career in the field of law. In less than five months, you will learn current legal processes, best practices in research, and analysis, and become familiar with essentials topics in law such as torts, contracts, and civil procedures. You will gain practical and technical skills and competencies relevant to a range of legal fields. Through a combination of lectures, assignments, projects and exams, students gain an in-depth understanding of the following topic areas:
- Essential Skills for Paralegals
- Tort Law
- Texas Civil Procedure and Evidence
- Contract Law
- Anyone considering a paralegal career
- Aspiring attorneys wanting to gain legal knowledge before law school
- Professionals with transferable skills seeking a career change such as nurses, teachers, law enforcement officers, business managers or healthcare staff
- Current paralegals needing more formal training
- Understand the fundamental tasks paralegals often perform and the skills necessary to meet your client’s needs using real-world cases and scenarios.
- Learn best practices in document preparation, file maintenance, as well as legal writing and research using Westlaw and Lexis research tools.
- Gain foundational knowledge in interview and investigation techniques, legal analysis and civil procedures.
- Acquire skills in resume preparation and strategies for employment geared specifically towards law firms, as well as tips for interviewing and cover letter drafting.
- Understand the Texas Civil Procedure of Evidence, explore tort law, contract law, and other civil law practices.
Students are required to have a high school diploma at the minimum, internet and email access and a proficiency in word processing.
This course is not available for college credit.
The Center for Professional Education (CPE) is proud to be approved to train veteran eligible persons.
Textbooks: The registration fee does NOT include the required course textbooks, which you can purchase online through amazon.com.
The Litigation Paralegal: A Systems Approach
Publisher: Cengage Learning
Tort Law for Paralegals
Publisher: Wolters Kluwer
Basic Contract Law for Paralegals
Publisher: Wolters Kluwer Law & Business
O’Connor’s Texas Rules: Civil Trials 2017
Publisher: Jones McClure
The 2017 version is expected to be released in February of 2017. You will not need this book until May, so please wait and purchase the 2017 version.
Recommended: You can call the publisher at 800-626-6667 to get a special student price.
For the first week of class, you will need The Litigation Paralegal: A Systems Approach textbook. Please note, it may take a while to receive your books, so please order them at least 10 days before the first day of class. Contact the Program Coordinator for details.