Turn your fitness passion into a rewarding career.
Are you looking for a way to stay in shape and help others reach their fitness goals as well?
The Center for Professional Education (CPE), in collaboration with the World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.), offers a Personal Trainer Certification Program designed to help you start a successful career as a trainer. Taught over a six-week period, the program covers key topics including biomechanics, exercise physiology, fitness testing, equipment usage and health assessment. National Exams are conducted during the final week of the program, and students who pass are eligible to begin a 30-hour internship and ultimately earn the W.I.T.S. certification. Students meet in-class once per week and then meet in the gym each Saturday of the program for the gym practical portion.
Bonus! Register for the Personal Trainer Certificate Program and get two free online courses, both of which provide CECs:
- Nutritional Concepts
- Strategies to Build Client Sales
These free courses are only available to those who complete the Personal Trainer Certificate Program and pass the CPT Level 1 National Test. Upon registration for the Personal Trainer Certificate Program, you will receive a gift certificate via email with instructions to register with your test results.
- Fitness enthusiasts or anyone seeking a new career in the health and fitness industry
- Understand and describe basic anatomy, kinesiology and exercise physiology
- Assess an individual’s level of fitness using ACSM guidelines
- Design and customize exercise programs
- Demonstrate proper execution of resistance, cardio-respiratory and flexibility exercises
- Identify and demonstrate at least one strength exercise for every major muscle group
- Explain ACSM and AHA recommendations for cardiovascular exercise
- Minimum 18 Years of age
- High School Diploma or GED
Textbook: Howley, Edward T. and Thompson, Dixie L. 2017. Fitness Professional’s Handbook. 7th Edition. Publisher: Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL. Must be purchased by the student.
Thursday evening classes meet at the Thompson Conference Center on the UT campus, 6:00 - 9:00 pm.
Saturday classes meet from 1:00 - 4:00 pm at 24 Hour Fitness, Hancock Center, located at 1000 E. 41st Street in Austin.
To achieve the National Personal Fitness Trainer Certification:
- Students must earn a score of 70% or higher on all exams
- Attendance is required and students are only allowed one excused absence (students with an excused absence must complete all work assigned)
- Adult CPR/AED is required for the certification to be issued
- Students are also required to complete a 30-hour internship through W.I.T.S.
- All course requirements must be completed within 12 months of the original course start date
- The renewal period is based on the original course completion dates