Turn your passion for fitness into a rewarding career.
Are you looking for a way to stay in shape and help others reach their fitness goals as well?
The Center for Professional Education (CPE), in collaboration with the World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.), offers a Personal Trainer Certification Program designed to help you start a successful career as a trainer. Taught over a six-week period, the program covers key topics including biomechanics, exercise physiology, fitness testing, equipment usage and health assessment. National Exams are conducted during the final week of the program, and students who pass are eligible to begin a 30-hour internship and ultimately earn the W.I.T.S. certification. Students meet in-class once per week and then meet in the gym each Saturday of the program for the gym practical portion.
Bonus! Register for the Personal Trainer Certificate Program and get the following free bonus course:
Older Adult Fitness Foundations Online Course
CECs are included. This free course is only available to those who complete the Personal Trainer Certificate Program and pass the CPT Level 1 National Test. Upon registration for the Personal Trainer Certificate Program, you will receive a gift certificate via email with instructions to register with your test results.
- Fitness enthusiasts or anyone seeking a new career in the health and fitness industry
- Understand and describe basic anatomy, kinesiology and exercise physiology
- Assess an individual’s level of fitness using ACSM guidelines
- Design and customize exercise programs
- Demonstrate proper execution of resistance, cardio-respiratory and flexibility exercises
- Identify and demonstrate at least one strength exercise for every major muscle group
- Explain ACSM and AHA recommendations for cardiovascular exercise
- Minimum 18 Years of age
- High School Diploma or GED
Textbook: Howley, Edward T. and Thompson, Dixie L. 2017. Fitness Professional’s Handbook. 7th Edition. Publisher: Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL. Cost is $89.00 + $9.95 shipping, for a total cost of $98.95 and must be purchased by the student.
Thursday evening classes meet at the Thompson Conference Center on the UT campus, 6-9 p.m.
Saturday classes meet from 1-4 p.m. at 24 Hour Fitness, Hancock Center, located at 1000 E. 41st Street in Austin.
Career Networking Event is Part of Your Tuition
We want to help launch your personal training career! To that end, the Center for Professional Education hosts a series of Career Networking Events that coincide with the conclusion of each cohort. Representatives from various fitness facilities attend and you will have the opportunity to network with prospective employers, learn what a career with them might look like, and obtain information about how you would apply for a position, once certified. An invitation will be sent via email to students as the last week of class winds down. Questions? Send us an email.
To achieve the National Personal Fitness Trainer Certification:
- Students must pass both a written and practical skills exam to be a Level 1 Certified Personal.
- Attendance is not required unless you are getting college credits. (This course has optional 3 college credits through the American Council on Education)
- Adult CPR/AED is required for the certification to be issued.
- Students have an option for a bonus Level 2 Certification by completing a 30-hour internship through W.I.T.S. An employer list is provided to all students.
- Course requirements must be completed within 12 months of the original course start date
- The 2 year renewal period is based on the original course completion date.