Register by March 14 to ensure you receive your course materials before the first class. Registration for this course will close at noon on March 16.
Principles of Project Management
Being an effective project leader requires a clear understanding of the essential elements of project management. In this course, you will learn the basic characteristics of a project and how to manage one effectively, explore key areas of expertise and learn how project stakeholders and organizational structures affect outcomes. Using A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), published by the Project Management Institute (PMI)®, you will discover the five process groups of project management: initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing.
This course lays the foundation for, and is an optional prerequisite to, the Project Management Certificate Program.
- New project managers
- Business managers and project team leaders with little or no formal project management training
- Job seekers who are investigating project management as a new career option or want to build project management skill for future positions
- Understand what a project is, and what it is not
- Have a basic understanding of the project management process groups
- Have a basic understanding of the project management knowledge areas
- Understand and be able to create a basic project charter
- Be able to identify stakeholders and create a stakeholder registry
- Understand risks vs. issues
- Have the ability to estimate how long a project might take
- Be able to communicate project status and manage stakeholder expectations
- Know how to successfully close out a project
- Understand the characteristics and purpose of a project
- Understand why the project management process groups and the project management knowledge areas are essential for a successful project
- Learn to create a realistic project plan, including scope and schedule, and how to adjust the plan mid-project
- Discover how to acquire, develop and manage a project team effectively
- Learn what is necessary to manage a project
- Build strategies to keep stakeholders and team members informed
Recommended Textbook: A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) - Sixth Edition