Register by 02/20/24 to ensure you receive your course materials before the first class. Registration for this course will close at noon on 02/22/24.
Principles of Project Management
Being an effective project leader requires a clear understanding of the essential elements of project management. In this course, you will learn the basic characteristics of a project and how to manage one effectively, explore key areas of expertise and learn how project stakeholders and organizational structures affect outcomes. Using A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), published by the Project Management Institute (PMI)®, you will discover the five process groups of project management: initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing.
This course lays the foundation for, and is an optional prerequisite to, the Project Management Certificate Program.
- New project managers
- Business managers and project team leaders with little or no formal project management training
- Job seekers who are investigating project management as a new career option or want to build project management skill for future positions
- Understand what a project is, and what it is not
- Have a basic understanding of the project management process groups
- Have a basic understanding of the project management knowledge areas
- Understand and be able to create a basic project charter
- Be able to identify stakeholders and create a stakeholder registry
- Understand risks vs. issues
- Have the ability to estimate how long a project might take
- Be able to communicate project status and manage stakeholder expectations
- Know how to successfully close out a project
- Understand the characteristics and purpose of a project
- Understand why the project management process groups and the project management knowledge areas are essential for a successful project
- Learn to create a realistic project plan, including scope and schedule, and how to adjust the plan mid-project
- Discover how to acquire, develop and manage a project team effectively
- Learn what is necessary to manage a project
- Build strategies to keep stakeholders and team members informed
Recommended Textbook: A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) - Seventh Edition