Improve crucial writing skills for a wide variety of business applications.
Exceptional writing skills are cited as the most necessary tools for success in today’s workplace. From persuasive memos and sales documents to eloquent letters and business proposals, the demand for well-written material has not slackened in the digital age. Developing techniques to improve your written communication in a wide variety of business and organizational applications is key to success for professionals in any industry and role.
In the Professional Writing Certificate, you will gain the skills required to confidently hit “send” on vital messages, submit proposals to key stakeholders, and compose important documents for your organization.
- Early-career professionals in marketing, communications or human resources.
- Professionals who seek to improve their business writing and written communication skills.
- Individuals responsible for writing reports, memos, letters and e-mail messages on behalf of their supervisor or organization.
- Learn basic grammar and mechanics while honing fundamental writing and proofreading skills.
- Understand clear style at the sentence, paragraph and document levels.
- Gain confidence in writing abilities for a wide variety of objectives and audiences.
To earn the Professional Writing Certificate, you must successfully complete four courses:
- All three required courses listed here
- One course from the list of electives below
Courses can be taken as they are offered, with no particular order required. Each course is offered two to three times per year in the fall, spring and summer terms.
This table shows upcoming start dates for this program’s courses. Please note that program start dates are subject to change. After registering for the certificate program, email us or call the CPE Registrar at 512-232-6520 to enroll in your chosen courses.
|Communicating Clearly: Effective Business Correspondence||12/14/2023||04/25/2024||08/04/2023|
|Mastering Mechanics: Proofreading, Punctuation and Grammar||09/26/2023||03/05/2024||07/11/2023|
|Writing Effective Business Proposals||10/04/2023||03/28/2024||07/26/2023|
Choose one of the following courses to round out your certificate based on your specific needs.
Classes are being delivered online via Zoom and in-person.
- To earn the Professional Writing Certificate, you must successfully complete four courses:
- All three required courses
- One course from the list of electives
- Typical program duration is 4 to 6 months
- The duration of each course is one to two days
- Courses can be taken as they are offered—each course is offered two to three times per year in the fall, spring, and summer terms
Course offerings are subject to change.
We recommend registering for the full certificate program to receive the best price possible. When you enroll in the certificate program and prepay, you will save up to 15% of the total cost of the four-course package.
By purchasing the certificate package you can:
- Lock in your tuition price.
- Consult with an Enrollment and Success Coordinator at email@example.com for advice in determining your schedule of courses.
- Contact the Registrar at CPE@austin.utexas.edu when you are ready to register for any or all of your courses.
Note: Your bundle purchase is valid for 18 months from the date of your first course.
UT Austin Gold Seal Certificate:
If you did not register for the Professional Writing Certificate Program bundle but are still interested in receiving your UT Austin Gold Seal Certificate, you can still do so by taking each course individually. You have 18 months to complete the certificate, starting from the start date of your first class. If you would like to find out if previously-taken courses count towards the certificate requirements, please reach out to your Enrollment and Success Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may request your certificate upon completion of your final class and it will be emailed to you.