Advance your career with a globally-recognized certificate in one of today's most in-demand fields.
The Project Management Certificate Program is intended to enhance your project management skills through globally recognized processes and a proven framework for leading and directing projects and teams. You will learn the most up-to-date methodology for delivering project results within constraints such as schedule, budget and available resources. This program is industry-driven and takes learners through the essential processes in a logical and sequential way to prepare them to move up in their careers. While this is not a test-prep course, the program does provide the education requirements needed to sit for the Project Management Professional (PMP)® or the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® certification exams. This program is offered in the classroom conveniently in the evenings.
- Professionals seeking a career change
- Managers wanting to learn best practices to implement at work
- Experienced project managers looking for formal training to certify their skills
- Project managers seeking training and contact hours to sit for the PMP exam
- Oil and gas industry engineers, project managers and others who want to improve their project outcomes with proven methodologies
- Learn to integrate project management-related functions that are related to scope, time, cost, quality, human resource management, communication, risk management and procurement
- Apply fundamental project management principles, theories, and practices, including the basic concepts described in the most current version of A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), published by the Project Management Institute (PMI)®
- Use project management tools and techniques that are effective in initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, controlling, and closing a project
- Gain experience working in a team environment with a project manager and a project team, handling internal conflicts as they arise
- Develop a detailed project plan and gain experience in supporting, justifying and presenting the completed plan to a panel
- Meet the 35-hour education requirement to qualify to take the PMP or CAPM exam
Are you seeking project management training to improve your skills in your current job? Download our editable letter that you can give to your supervisor to help you justify sending you to the program!
This program is aligned with the most current industry standards developed by the Project Management Institute (PMI)® and utilizes A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) - Sixth Edition, Project Management Institute, Inc. Students are required to purchase this textbook and may need to bring the book to each course meeting. (Note that the fall 2017 course was taught with the fifth edition.)
Students are divided into small groups for the duration of the program. Each small group applies the project management principles learned in class to a specific project plan. Classroom participation is required, as are small-group meetings and homework which occur outside of class times. Expected time investment outside of class times is 8-10 hours per week.
If you're just getting started with project management, consider taking Principles of Project Management, a two-day course which introduces you to the basic characteristics of a project and how to manage one effectively.
Find additional information about optional career services.
This course is not available for college credit.
Interested students may be eligible to apply for the Road to Success Scholarship, which could cover up to 80% of this program's tuition.
As a PMI Registered Education Provider, The University of Texas at Austin’s Center for Professional Education (CPE) has been approved by PMI to issue professional development units (PDUs) for our courses. (Provider # 1616).
Project Management Professional (PMP), A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM), and PMI are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.