Expand your knowledge of legal matters involving wills, trusts and estates.
Wills, trusts and estate law is the practice of law dealing with all aspects of planning for the conservation and disposition of estates, giving due consideration to the applicable tax consequences, both federal and state; the preparation of legal instruments to effectuate estate plans; administering estates, including tax related matters; and probate litigation. If you are looking to work in this area of the legal field, the Wills and Estates Specialist Certificate Program provides and in-depth education on topics including wills, trusts, probates processes, estate planning and legal enforcement. The program is self-paced allowing you get started anytime and complete assignments on a schedule that is convenient for you. Each course includes instructor guidance, exercises, quizzes, chapter reviews, lecture notes and other innovative online learning tools. See required courses and electives to choose from below:
- Estates, WIlls, and Trusts
- Elder Law
Once you have begun this program, you will work with your instructor to determine which elective course fits best with your particular area of interest. You will choose one of the following electives:
- Legal Ethics
- Laws of Evidence
- Advanced Legal Research
- Constitutional Law
- Experienced paralegals or individuals with prior legal education needing or wanting specialized legal training in wills and estates law
- We recommend that applicants have one of the following in order to be optimally successful in this course:
- certificate or degree in paralegal studies
- combination of a college degree in any area of study and at least one year of legal experience
- foreign law degree or some law school experience
- Terminology for probate
- Will construction
- Opening an estate
- Fiduciary responsibility
- Trust administration
- The role of the executor
- Estate planning
Tuition does not include the cost of required textbooks. The online book link is provided to students once they are enrolled in the program. The books vary from course to course but average anywhere from $45 to $160 per book. However, used books are often available.
This course is not available for college credit.