Registration closes at noon on June 1.
Writing Policies and Procedures
Policies and procedures are important documents in any organization. Procedures that are effectively designed and written help both managers and employees increase efficiency and productivity, reduce mistakes and frustration and save time and money by providing clear guidelines that are easy to find and follow.
In this course, you will learn best practices for writing policies, procedures and supporting documentation to help you develop logical and easy-to-understand documents. You will learn to prepare material that is consistently formatted, informative, appropriate for the needs of your audience and organization and ready for distribution both in print and online.
- Human resource professionals
- Managers and supervisors
- Anyone responsible for writing policies and procedures
- Know the difference between a policy and a procedure
- Understand the four steps of the policy and procedure development process: planning, analysis, research and pre-writing
- Understand the legal role and importance of your documents
- Demonstrate good procedural writing style
- Learn techniques to overcome resistance and to get your audience to read and use your policies and procedures
Required: Bring printed copies of three of your organization's current policies and/or procedures. In class, you will discuss the structure, format and writing style for policies and procedures, and you will work to apply these techniques to your own policies.