Turn your passion for fitness into a rewarding career.
Are you looking for a way to stay in shape and help others reach their fitness goals as well?
The Center for Professional Education (CPE), in collaboration with the World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.), offers a Personal Trainer Certification Program designed to help you start a successful career as a trainer. Taught over a six-week period, the program covers key topics including biomechanics, exercise physiology, fitness testing, equipment usage and health assessment. National Exams are conducted during the final week of the program, and students who pass are eligible to begin a 30-hour internship and ultimately earn the W.I.T.S. certification. Students meet virtually on Tuesday evenings and then meet once in the gym on weekends for the gym practical portion.
- Fitness enthusiasts or anyone seeking a new career in the health and fitness industry
- Understand and describe basic anatomy, kinesiology and exercise physiology
- Assess an individual’s level of fitness using ACSM guidelines
- Design and customize exercise programs
- Demonstrate proper execution of resistance, cardio-respiratory and flexibility exercises
- Identify and demonstrate at least one strength exercise for every major muscle group
- Explain ACSM and AHA recommendations for cardiovascular exercise
- Minimum 18 Years of age
- High School Diploma or GED
Required textbook: Howley, Edward T. and Thompson, Dixie L. 2017. Fitness Professional’s Handbook. 7th Edition. Publisher: Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL. The e-book costs $70 and the cost for the hard cover version is $110 plus $15.95 for shipping, and must be purchased by the student. Order either version here.
Gym sessions meet at Austin Highland Gold’s Gym at 6001 Middle Fiskville Road, Austin, TX 78752.
To achieve the National Personal Fitness Trainer Certification:
- Students must pass both a written and practical skills exam to be a Level 1 Certified Personal Trainer.
- Attendance is not required unless you are getting college credits. (This course has optional 3 college credits through the American Council on Education)
- Adult CPR/AED is required for the certification to be issued.
- Students have an option for a bonus Level 2 Certification by completing a 30-hour internship through W.I.T.S. An employer list is provided to all students.
- Course requirements must be completed within 12 months of the original course start date
- The 2 year renewal period is based on the original course completion date.
This certificate program is offered in collaboration with World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.).