Personal Training Certificate Program at Camp Mabry
**PLEASE ENSURE YOU MEET ALL REQUIREMENTS AND CAN COMMIT TO THE TIME REQUIREMENTS BEFORE REGISTERING**
Are you looking for a way to stay in shape and help others reach their fitness goals too?
Extended Campus Customer Training, in collaboration with the World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.), offers a Personal Trainer Certification Program designed to help you start a successful career as a trainer. Taught over six weeks, the program covers key topics, including biomechanics, exercise physiology, fitness testing, equipment usage, and health assessment. National Exams are conducted during the program's final week, and students who pass are eligible to begin a 30-hour internship and ultimately earn the W.I.T.S. certification.
This program is offered conveniently in the evenings at Camp Mabry. The gym practicum portion requires you to attend in person.
Who Should Enroll:
This course is reserved for soldiers who are fitness enthusiasts or anyone seeking a new career in the health and fitness industry offered by the University of Texas at Austin Extended Campus Custom Training and hosted by Camp Mabry - Texas Military Department. The course includes all materials, training, and exam fees for the certification. Soldiers may utilize the U.S. Army Credentialing Assistance (CA) Program to pay for this course.
- Understand and describe basic anatomy, kinesiology and exercise physiology
- Assess an individual’s level of fitness using ACSM guidelines
- Design and customize exercise programs
- Demonstrate proper execution of resistance, cardio-respiratory and flexibility exercises
- Identify and demonstrate at least one strength exercise for every major muscle group
- Explain ACSM and AHA recommendations for cardiovascular exercise
- Minimum 18 Years of age
- High School Diploma or GED
Required textbook (which is provided): Howley, Edward T., and Thompson, Dixie L. 2017. Fitness Professional’s Handbook. 7th Edition. Publisher: Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL.
To achieve the National Personal Fitness Trainer Certification:
- Students must pass both a written and practical skills exam to be Level 1 Certified Personal Trainer.
- Adult CPR/AED is required for the certification to be issued.
- Students have an option for a bonus Level 2 Certification by completing a 30-hour internship through W.I.T.S. An employer list is provided to all students.
- Course requirements must be completed within 12 months of the original course start date
- The 2-year renewal period is based on the original course completion date.
This certificate program is offered in collaboration with World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.).
Continuing Education Hours:
Continuing Education Units: 3.6 CEUs
**Please note that after you complete the form, you must log in to ArmyIgnitED to complete your CA request for funding. Please follow the instructions here to complete your registration.